BEAU BRESLIN (Law)
Contact Information & Background
Professor of Political Science
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
- M.A., Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
- B.A., Political Science, Hobart College
- The Generational Constitution: Jefferson, Madison and the Call for Periodic Constitutional Renewal (under contract with Stanford University Press - expected publication date: 2013).
- From Words to Worlds: Examining Constitutional Functionality, (The Johns Hopkins Series in Constitutional Thought), Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press (2009).
- The Communitarian Constitution. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press (2004). Paperback edition (2006).
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Nomos and Native American Narratives: The Duality of Law in the Liberal State" (with
Katherine Cavanaugh), Studies in Law, Politics, and Society (edited by Austin Sarat), fortcoming, 2012. Reprinted in the Quinnipiac Law Review, forthcoming 2013.
- “Is There a Paradox in Amending a Sacred Text?” (Maryland Constitutional Law Schmooze Symposium Issue) 69 Maryland Law Review 1, pp. 66-76 (2009)
- “The Paradox of Race and America’s Experiment with Capital Punishment: Are We Probing Deeply Enough?” Review Essay inInternational Criminal Justice Review, Volume 18-3 (September, 2008).
- “Evolutionary History: The Changing Purposes for Capital Punishment” (with John J.P. Howley and Molly Appel) in Is the Death Penalty Dying? Studies in Law, Politics, and Society. Austin Sarat, ed., Volume 42 (2008), pp. 1-19.
- “Extinguishing the Victims’ Payne or Acquiescing to the “Demon of Error”: Confronting the Role of Victims in Capital Clemency Proceedings” (with Charles S. Lanier) in Wounds That Do Not Bind: A Victim-Centered Perspective on Criminal Homicide and Capital Punishment. James Acker and David R. Karp, ed., (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2006)
- “Bomb Plans on the Internet: The Case for Constitutional Protection,” The American Review of Politics, Vol. No. (Fall/Winter 2004)
- “Legal Constraints on Restorative Practices: The Case of Speech Codes” in Restorative Community Justice on the College Campus.David Karp and Thom Allena, eds. (Springfield, Illinois: Charles C. Thomas Publishers, 2004).
- “Debating Death: Critical Issues in Capital Punishment” (with David R. Karp) in Critical Issues in Crime and Justice (Second Edition). Albert R. Roberts, ed. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2003).
- “Defending the Politics of Clemency” (with John J. P. Howley),Oregon Law Review 81:1 (Spring 2002): 231-254.
- “The Comparative Legal System of Lesotho” (with Christopher A. Whann), in Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia. Herbert M. Kritzer, ed. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC CLIO, 2002.
- “Restorative Justice in School Communities” (with David R. Karp),Youth & Society 33:2 (December 2001): 249-272.
Short Articles and Reviews
- Review of Jack Balkin's Constitutional Redemption: Political Faith in an Unjust Word in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 22, Number 8 (August, 2012)
- "Academic Minute" - Reflections on the Constitution - WAMC - NPR, July 13, 2010. http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wamc/news.newsmain?action-article&ARTICLE_ID=1672895
- Review of Robert L. Tsai’s Eloquence and Reason: Creating a First Amendment Culture in Perspectives on Politics, Volume , Number (Forthcoming, 2011)
- Review of Roberta Rosenthal Kwall’s The Soul of Creativity: Forging a Moral Rights Law for the United States in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume , Number (July, 2010).
- Review of Zachary Elkins, Tom Ginsburg, and James Melton’s The Endurance of National Constitutions in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 20, Number 2 (February, 2010).
- Review of Franz von Benda-Beckmann, Keebet von Benda-Beckmann, and Julia Eckert’s (eds.) Rules of Law and Laws of Ruling: On the Governance of Law in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 19, Number 12 (December 2009).
- Review of Sonu Bedi’s Rejecting Rights in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 19, Number 7 (July, 2009)
- “Wrong Way to Make Right Choice,” Op-Ed in the Times Union(Albany, NY), May 27, 2009
- Review of Mauro Zamboni’s The Policy of Law: A Legal Theoretical Framework in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 18, Number 5(May 2008).
- Review of Stephen Elkin’s Reconstructing the Commercial Republic: Constitutional Design After Madison in Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 17, Number 2(February 2007).
- Review of Gretchen Ritter’s The Constitution as Social Design: Gender and Civic Membership in the American Constitutional Orderin Perspectives on Politics, Volume 5, Number 1 (March 2007)
- “Executive Clemency,” “Rational Basis Test,” Doctrine of Strict Scrutiny,” in Encyclopedia of American Civil Rights and Liberties. Otis Stephens and John Scheb, eds. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishers (2006).
- Review of Shirley Robin Letwin’s On the History of the Idea of Lawin Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 16, Number 9(August 2006).
- Review of Stuart Banner’s The Death Penalty: An American Historyin Criminal Justice Review, Volume 31, Number 2 (June 2006).
- “Suicide Ruling Reflects O’Connor’s Influence,” Op-Ed in The Post Star (Glens Falls, NY), January 29, 2006.
- “Roberts Could Change History,” Op-Ed in The Post Star (Glens Falls, NY), July 21, 2005.
- Review of Alan Brudner’s Constitutional Goods in Law and Politics Book Review, Vol. 15, no. 6 (June 2005). (translated into Chinese, July, 2005)
- Review of T.R.S. Allan’s Constitutional Justice: A Liberal Theory of the Rule of Law in Law and Politics Book Review, Vol. 14, no. 6 (June, 2004)
- Review of George I. Lovell’s Legislative Deferrals: Statutory Ambiguity, Judicial Power, and American Democracy in Law and Politics Book Review, Vol. 13, no. 11 (November, 2003)
- “Community Justice in the Campus Setting” (with David R. Karp and Pat Oles) in Conflict Management in Higher Education Report 3:1 (October 2002).
- “Constitutionalism,” “Judicial Scrutiny,” “James Bradley Thayer,” inEncyclopedia of the United States Supreme Court. Thomas T. Lewis and Richard L. Wilson, ed. Pasadena, CA: Salem Press, 1999