2005 Summer Reading
The Burial at Thebes
The faculty who contributed to these pages offer the following suggestions for further reading. Scribner Library has these volumes in its holdings, and we encourage you to read them and explore the Library for other related items. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Tim Donahue, First-Year Experience Librarian (x5465, and at the Reference desk in the Library Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3-5.30pm, and Thursdays from 12.30-3pm), or Prof. Michael Arnush, First-Year Experience Director (x8111 in Starbuck 201).
Other translations of the Antigone and the remaining surviving plays by Sophocles
- Sophocles: The Complete Greek Tragedies. Edited by David Grene. 2 vols. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1954-57.
- The Three Theban Plays: Sophocles: Antigone, Oedipus the King. Oedipus at Colonus. Translated by Robert Fagles. New York: Viking Press, 1982.
- Note: only seven of Sophocles' plays survive: the "Theban Plays" and the Ajax, Women of Trachis, Electra and Philoctetes.
Works on Greek drama, gender, mythology, history and religion
- Blondell, Ruby. Helping Friends and Harming Enemies: A Study in Sophocles and Greek Ethics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989.
- Easterling, P.E., editor. The Cambridge Companion to Greek Tragedy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Fantham, Elaine, et al. Women in the Classical World: Image and Text. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Knox, Bernard. The Heroic Temper: Studies in Sophoclean Tragedy. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1964.
- Pomeroy, Sarah. Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity. New York: Schocken, 1995.
- Morford, Mark, and Lenardon, Robert. Classical Mythology. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Pomeroy, Sarah, et al. Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Taplin, Oliver. Greek Tragedy in Action. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1978.
- Zaidman, Louise. Religion in the Ancient Greek City. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
Other translations, and poetry, by Seamus Heaney
- Beowulf: A Verse Translation. Translated by Seamus Heaney, edited by Daniel Donoghue. New York: Norton, 2002.
- The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles' Philoctetes. New York: Noonday Press, 1991.
- Electric Light. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2001.
- Opened Ground: Selected Poems, 1966-1996. New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1998.
- The Spirit Level. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1996 (see "Mycenae Lookout," Heaney's take on Aeschylus' Oresteia).
Works on contemporary drama and literary criticism of the Antigone
- Brockett, Oscar G. Century of Innovation. 2nd ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1991.
- Brockett, Oscar G. History of the Theatre. 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1982.
- Butler, Judith. Antigone's Claim. New York: Columbia University Press, 2002 (on order).
- Steiner, George. Antigones. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996.
Websites of interest
- Reviews of the Abbey Theatre's 2004 production of The Burial at Thebes
- Harvard Crimson On-Line: Critique of The Burial at Thebes with some comments by Heaney
- American Repertory Theater: 2000/2001 production of Robert Fagles' translation of the Antigone (with photos)