- Ph.D. in business administration, May 2012, Boston University, School of Management, Department of Organizational Behavior.
- M.S. in computer science, June 1999, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S. in computer science, May 1997 (with honors), University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. Minor in Business Administration
- MB 107 Business and Organization Management
- MB 224 Foundations of Organizational Behavior
- SSP 100 Human Dilemmas
- Identity dynamics in the workplace
- Occupational and organizational cultures
- Identification and commitment
- Mao, J. & Y. Shen (2015) Cultural identity change in expatriates: A social network perspective.
Human Relations, 68(10): 1533-1556.
- Hall, D. T., Mao, J. (2015) Exploring authenticity in careers. In Baugh, G. & S. Sullivan (Eds.) Research
in Careers (volume 2). Information Age Publishing.
- Howard-Grenville, J., Golden-Biddle, K, Irwin, J., Mao, J. (2011) Liminality as cultural process for cultural change. Organization Science,
- Golden-Biddle, K., Mao, J. (2011) What makes a change process positive? In Cameron, K. & Spreitzer, G. (Eds.)
Handbook of positive organizational scholarship. Oxford University Press.
- Santana, L. C., Las Heras, M., Mao, J. (2010) Developing leaders with cultural intelligence: Exploring the cultural dimension of leadership. In Bunker K., D. T. Hall, K. Kram (Eds.) Extraordinary leadership: Addressing the gaps in senior executive development. San Francisco, CA: Wiley Publishing.
- Mao, J. & S. Keane (2015) Managing identity paradoxes in creative organizations. Paper presented
at EGOS (European Group for Organizational Studies) conference in Athens, Greece.
- Mao, J. (2015) Working like adults: Negotiated order and adulthood in a fast food chain.
Paper presented in symposium Governing identities: Narrative and discourse as identity
work at four levels of analysis at national Academy of Management conference in Vancouver,
- Mao, J. (2014) Working like adults: Social construction of adulthood at work. Presented
in workshop titled Wordplays of the self: Narrative, discourse, power and the hard
work of identity at national Academy of Management conference in Philadelphia, PA.
- Shen, Y. & Mao, J. (2013) Exploring expatriates’ cultural identity reconstruction: A relational and network approach. Paper presented at Academy of International Business conference in Istanbul, Turkey.