Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Off-Campus Study & Exchanges

Finance FAQ

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about financing study abroad apply to all Skidmore Approved Programs, non-Skidmore Approved Programs and petitioned programs that have been approved for individual students by the College. Non-Skidmore students should discuss these questions with a member of the international programs/study abroad office on their own campus to obtain appropriate information.

As a student considers the various program options for off-campus study, it is also important to understand the financial implications of their choice.  The out-of-pocket expenses can vary dependent on the program choice.

Domestic versus international – Studying off-campus on a domestic program is not always less expensive than studying abroad.  There are many countries in which the dollar is stronger than the foreign currency, thereby making general living costs less expensive.  The currency conversion rate of a foreign currency to that of the U.S. dollar should be considered when estimating onsite out-of-pocket expenses such as meals, daily commuting, books, optional program excursions, personal expenses, leisure travel, etc.

Airfare – The cost of airfare can be a considerable expense.  Airline routes and flight scheduling will impact the cost of a ticket.  While it may be considerably less to fly to a country in Europe versus Oceania, the costs onsite may be less in Oceania.

Passport – If you are studying off-campus in an international location, you will need a passport.  If you have never had a passport you will need to apply and pay the required application fee, execution fee and passport photo fees.  Current passport holders must have a passport that is valid 6 months beyond their program end date.  If not, they must renew their passport – paying the required application and passport photo fees.

Visas/Residence Permit – Your country of study may or may not require a visa.  If you are required to obtain a visa the cost can vary from approximately $35 to over $1,000.  There can also be additional expenses such as biometrics, medical testing, x-rays, criminal background checks, etc. that are required components of a visa application.  Students have to keep in mind that some health insurance companies will not cover the cost of medical testing and x-rays since they are not medically necessary.  Therefore, students have to pay these costs out-of-pocket.  

Additionally, while some visa applications can be submitted online, others will require an in-person appointment at a consulate.  If a student does not reside in or attend college near a consulate, they have to be prepared for the cost of travel to the nearest consulate.  This could mean travelling to another state.

Meals – The meal/board plan that is provided onsite will vary from program to program.  There are programs where all meals are provided via a homestay, student cafeteria, stipend or a combination of both.  While there are programs where students reside in residential halls or apartments and there are no meals provided.  In this case, students will have to shop and prepare their own meals or purchase meals.  It is important for students to consider how planning for their meals will impact their daily life and budget.

Students studying off campus will be charged the Skidmore comprehensive fee for their semester or year program. (NOTE: Skidmore’s comprehensive fee will differ from the fees of program providers.) The comprehensive fee is equal to Skidmore’s tuition, on campus apartment rate, board, if applicable and mandatory college fees. If the program does not include room and/or board, or only includes partial board, the Skidmore fee will be adjusted accordingly. 

For all off-campus programs the Skidmore comprehensive fee covers costs tuition and mandatory academic fees, double room, board if applicable, mandatory medical insurance, and any other mandatory program fees. Students are responsible for their transportation costs to and from the program, on-site transportation if not included in the provider’s program fee, books, personal expenses (including passport and visa fees), accommodation upgrades, room and/or board if not included in provider’s program fee, voluntary field trips and excursions, and any refundable deposits.

Students should be aware that their program provider’s mandatory course enrollment and maximum credit load for the semester may differ from Skidmore’s 15 semester credit requirement.   Students should adhere to Skidmore’s 15 credit requirement.  Any student seeking an exception to this policy must contact OCSE’s Senior Associate Director.  Occasionally, there have been instances when students must enroll in additional coursework in order to stay on track for graduation.  All overloads or underloads must be approved by OCSE and the on site program staff.  Please consult the Senior Associate Director concerning this process.  Lastly, if a student elects to enroll in courses during his/her/their off-campus program that have not been approved for academic credit and, therefore, are not transferable to Skidmore, he/she/they will be responsible for payment of said course fees.  Students must also obtain OCSE approval prior to enrolling in courses that carry additional fees or have travel components.

Students studying off campus will be billed by Skidmore’s Bursar for the comprehensive fee. The bill will show charges for tuition, room, board (if applicable), and any additional mandatory Skidmore College fees. Payments are to be made to Skidmore College. Off-Campus Study & Exchanges will handle payments to the program providers on the behalf of students.

Certain programs provide housing assignments once students arrive on site. Please check with your provider on questions involving housing assignments. Skidmore College will pay these providers the standard housing charge. However, these housing assignments may or may not include a board plan. Therefore, for these programs Skidmore College is unable to bill a board charge in advance. If that is the case, the student will be responsible for paying board directly to the program provider once he/she/they arrives on site. This board charge may or may not exceed the Skidmore College on-campus charge. Students are responsible for the full board charge, regardless of any difference.

Most programs require two deposits upon acceptance - a non-refundable confirmation deposit to secure a spot in the program and a housing deposit. Students should not submit any non-refundable confirmation deposits to their program provider. Skidmore will pay all non-refundable deposits to program providers on your behalf.   However, Skidmore College requires a $500 confirmation deposit and submittal of all post-acceptance materials no later than the deadline stated in the off-campus study approval email sent by OCSE.  Failure to comply with the deadline can result in a program rescinding a student’s acceptance or Skidmore administratively withdrawing a student from off-campus study. Students not in good financial standing with Skidmore can also be withdrawn from off-campus study by the Skidmore College Bursar. 

Students are responsible for paying any refundable deposits and optional fees directly on-site or to the program provider. Any housing deposits need to be sent directly to the provider, not to Off-Campus Study & Exchanges. The majority of the housing deposits are refundable to the student at the end of the program. Please check with the program provider for the program specific policy.

Confirmation deposits must be paid to Off-Campus Study & Exchanges in the form of cash, check or money order made payable to “Skidmore College.” Alternatively, payment can be made online via electronic check or credit card utilizing the E-Bill Online Payment system found on the Bursar’s website. For details, contact OCSE.

The comprehensive fee for off-campus study must be paid directly to the Skidmore College Bursar’s Office—please consult the Bursar’s Office for payment options. 

Yes, financial aid can be used for off-campus study. Students receiving financial aid should speak with a Financial Aid representative to review possible aid changes based on increased expenses resulting from off-campus study. It is highly recommended that all students intending to study off-campus meet with Financial Aid to find out if the increased expenses associated with studying off campus qualify them to receive aid even if they previously did not.

Financial Aid may be available for travel seminars taking place during the academic year. It is not available for summer travel seminars. It is recommended that students speak with a Financial Aid representative to determine their eligibility for aid.

The tuition portion of the comprehensive fee will be taken care of through the tuition exchange program. Students will be responsible for all other fees and expenses of the program. Those are not covered under the tuition exchange program.

Students should consult with the Program Manager of the specific Skidmore program.  Since the banking regulations of each country differs, stipend disbursement will vary from program to program.  Some stipends will be paid onsite and others will be provided to students in a lump sum before the beginning of the program.