We offered a limited donation collection this fall of unopened non-perishable food items, unopened toiletries, and clothes. Due to COVID-19 guidelines, students must drop off donations to our centralized collection in Ladd 207 or at our pop-up locations in Northwoods and Sussman Villages during available hours. Food donations will be used to stock a temporary Winter Break Food Pantry, a new program coordinated with Sustainability, SGA, Challah for Hunger, and Office of Religious and Spiritual Life. Clothing and toiletries will be delivered to our partner organizations, including Franklin Community Center, Backstretch Employee Service Team, Saratoga EOC, Shelters of Saratoga, and Noah's Attic.
What you don't want, someone else might need. Give+Go is an annual program designed to gather gently used goods students leave behind at the end of the year and bring them to local and regional nonprofits, where they can be reused or resold. This program diverts tons of material from the landfill and gives Skidmore students an opportunity to give back to their community. Since the start of the program in 2007, more than 100 tons of material have been diverted from entering the landfill and are instead donated to local, regional and international agencies.
May 2021 Updates Coming Soon
Collection will be available for May 10-15, 2021 in Residence Halls and May 16-23, 2021 for Apartments. Please stay tuned as we develop options for collection stations with COVID-safe protocols.
At the end of the year, collection bins are placed around campus and students are asked to donate unwanted clothing, furniture, household items, books, and food. Then approximately 50 staff, faculty and student volunteers collect the items and coordinate with our partners to donate and reuse them.
In years past, Skidmore has partnered with the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Skidmore-Haiti Initiative, CAPTAIN Program, Capital City Rescue Mission, Trinity Alliance, and the Backstretch Employee Service Team (B.E.S.T.) to collect and donate goods.
Check out our video below to learn about this program, which has redistributed food and gently used goods from move-out to the Saratoga Springs community for over a decade.
The video above features Skidmore volunteers collecting and sorting donations, and it includes footage from one of our partner organizations, Backstretch Employee Service Team.
We encourage students to pack or store their goods this fall, as we anticipate moving back to campus this spring. You will need your lamps, dishes, home goods, and organizers again in a couple months!
Donation Drop-Off Schedule
Students must bring their donations to the locations listed below. There will be NO
in-hall collection sites for the Fall 2020 Give+Go.
Ladd 207: Open daily, Sunday, 11/15 - Friday, 11/20, 3:00 - 6:00 pm.
Northwoods Village Pop-Up Collection: Wednesday, 11/18, 3:30 - 5:30 pm. Students must bring items to the Skidmore truck parked by Moore 2.
Sussman Village Pop-Up Collection: Thursday, 11/19, 3:30 - 5:30 pm. Students must bring items to the Skidmore truck parked by the EV charging Station in Sussman Lot.
Accepted Donation Items*
- Unopened non-perishable food items (individually wrapped items in an open box are acceptable).
- Unopened toiletries (including laundry pods, dish soap, body soaps, shampoos, deodorant, toothpaste, PPE like gloves and masks).
- Unopened menstrual products (individually wrapped pads and tampons in an open box are acceptable).
- Clothing and shoes (any season of clothing is acceptable).
*We do NOT accept books, notebooks, binders, furniture, home goods (plastic storage
units, lamps, etc.), or appliances.
Donate, Recycle, Sell or Swap What You Don't Need
- For home goods items we cannot accept at Give+Go, we suggest you drop off your donation
to these local non-profits...
- Rebuilding Together Saratoga at 132 Milton Ave in Ballston Spa, accepts tables and chairs, solid-color sofas, accent tables, floor lamps, jewelry, and shelving.
- Noah's Attic at 10 West High St, Ballston Spa, accepts dishware, non-textbooks, and home goods.
- Unwanted bicycles or bike accessories can be donated to Bikeatoga at 241 N Broadway in Saratoga Springs during open hours.
- On campus...
- For broken and unwanted, dated electronics, you can drop off these items to e-waste recycling by contacting Campus Safety to escort you to the collection shelves in Wait Hall basement. We accept broken TVs, laptops, printers, and more.
- Batteries and printer cartridges can be recycled in the Post Office in Case Center. A tall green collection unit is located at the north end of the Post Office.
- Textbooks can be sold back to Skid Shop bookstore in Spring 2021, online, or amongst peers in your major/minor.
- You can post your books, furniture, etc to Skidmore's Swap and Sell page on Facebook.