About the Structured Field Experience
The Structured Field Experience should serve as a student's culminating work in the
minor and can be credit-bearing or non-credit bearing. It offers students a chance
to both build on and depart from their coursework in the minor in creative ways that
develop their personal and professional interests and aspirations. Regardless of credit
status (credit-bearing or non-credit-bearing), it should be completed through independent
work such as internships, independent studies, the Storytellers' Institute, or other
independent projects involving critical and/or creative media work, rather than conventional
seminar or studio courses. Non-credit-bearing experiences may be voluntary or paid.
The SFE should include a minimum of 120 hours (the equivalent hours expected for a
3-credit course) and must be pre-approved by a designated SFE advisor or the director
of the program.
Please consult the Structured Field Experience Contract Form for additional information. This and the Structured Field Experience Reflection Form will guide you through the process for obtaining approval and completing this capstone for the minor.
Satisfactory completion of the SFE requires electronic submission of a reflection component to your designated SFE advisor and MFS Director, final approval by your SFE advisor or director of the program, and submission of the SFE Reflection Form to the Registrar’s Office and MFS Director. There's a handy checklist below...
Any Media and Film Studies (MFS) affiliate faculty may serve as SFE advisors (here is a complete listing of eligible faculty advisors).
CURRENT & FUTURE CHECKLIST FOR STUDENTS:
- I have arranged for an SFE advisor.
- My SFE has been pre-approved by my SFE advisor or MFS Director.
- If this is a non-credit bearing internship, I will have my off-site internship advisor sign my SFE Reflection Form.
- I will send a copy of the reflection component to my designated SFE advisor and the MFS Director for filing and assessment purposes.
- I will submit one copy of the SFE Reflection Form to the Registrar’s Office and one copy to the MFS Director.