Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips
Yeilds 1 large loaf
- 12 oz. butter
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp. allspice
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups all purpose baking flour, sifted
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 12 oz. buttermilk
- 10 oz. pumpkin puree, canned
- 10 oz. chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine butter, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, sugar, salt, and spices in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the ingredients until light.
- Add the eggs in two or three stages. Cream well after each addition before adding more eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the liquids:
- Add ¼ of the dry ingredients and ⅓ of the chocolate chips. Mix until blended in.
- Add ⅓ of the liquid and ⅓ of the chocolate chips. Mix until blended in.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used. Scrape sides of the bowl for even mixing.
- Fill bread tins until two-thirds full
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400°F.
Optionally, create muffins by lining a muffin tin with muffin cups.