Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Faculty and Staff Benefits

Tuition Benefits

There are three types of tuition benefits for Skidmore employees - internal tuition for self or dependents (taking a class at Skidmore), external tuition (assistance with costs of course work at other institutions) and tuition exchange (enrollment at a college which participates in the Tuition Exchange Program.) 

Eligibility requirements for participation in the tuition benefits vary for employees. Faculty and Non-Union Staff should refer to the information about each program for the eligibility requirements. Union employees should refer to their appropriate contract for eligibility requirements.


Tuition Benefits FAQs

What do I do if I am interested in taking courses at Skidmore?
Please follow the steps outlined below to enroll in a course and apply for a tuition waiver:

  • Contact the Registrar's Office to ask for a list of courses for the upcoming term.

  • Once you decide on a course, make sure your supervisor approves the scheduled time out-of-office and the make-up time during the same pay period.  Union employees should make arrangements to have paid leave approved for courses taken during work hours.  You would enroll for the course through the Registrar's Office.

  • Download the Internal Tuition Grant Application form from the Human Resources website, complete the form and send to Human Resources for approval of the tuition waiver.  Once approved, the form will be forwarded to the appropriate office so you will not receive a bill for the course.  You will, however, be responsible for a small fee which is approximately $25. 

What do I do if my dependents are interested in taking courses at Skidmore?

If your dependents are eligible for a tuition waiver, complete the Internal Tuition Grant Application form once your dependent has enrolled in a course.

What do I do if my dependent child is interested in enrolling at a school through the Tuition Exchange Program?

If your dependent child is eligible to apply for the program, visit the Tuition Exchange (TE) website ( for information on participating schools as well as for general TE information.  You can also find general information on the Tuition Exchange Program at Tuition Exchange Program.  Contact the Financial Aid Office for more detailed questions.

Please remember that this Program is not an entitlement.  You must be awarded a Tuition Exchange opening at Skidmore, your child must be accepted at the institution of choice, and a Tuition Exchange opening must be available at the institution of choice.  You can not participate in this program and the External Tuition Program for the same child.

What do I do if my dependent child is interested in enrolling at a 2 or 4 year College with the External Tuition Benefit?

If you are eligible to participate in this benefit for your legally dependent children, download the External Tuition Grant Application form from the Human Resources website and return it to HR with a copy of your child's tuition bill.  A check for a portion of the tuition will be processed and sent directly to you.

Please contact the Assistant Director for Benefits Administration, Compliance, and Wellness at extension 5808 for further information on the above programs or call Human Resources at 580-5800.