Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Office of the Registrar

Advanced Placement (AP) Transfer Credit

The college will grant up to four semester hours of credit toward graduation to those achieving a grade of 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement Test of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB), excluding the APIEL Examination. Students may earn up to a total of 16 semester hours of credit from AP tests. In most cases such credits will count only as elective credit toward the degree and, with few exceptions, will not replace specific all-college or major requirements.

An official transcript must be received before AP credits can be added. If an official transcript has not yet been sent, please contact:

AP Exams
PO Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671
Phone: 888-CALL-4-AP (888-225-5427)

Transferring Credit from Other Institutions

Newly enrolled students who have completed work at other post secondary institutions before enrolling at Skidmore must have complete official transcripts from those institutions sent to the College.

The Office of the Registrar will post all credits evaluated and approved as applicable toward the Skidmore degree.

Once the approval process is completed, Paula Brehm (Assistant Registrar for Records) will contact students via email (or postal mail if non-electronic communications were requested). If needed, you may contact her at

The following policies apply:

  1. A maximum of 60 semester hours can be awarded in transfer credit.
  2. Credit is given for courses which have been successfully completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
  3. Students transferring from an institution on the semester hour system will receive the amount of credit per course awarded by that institution. When the institution is not on a semester system, the Registrar's Office will equate the unit of credit to semester hours, e.g. 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour.
  4. Courses are evaluated on an individual basis, and determination is made as to whether each course has a Skidmore equivalent. If a specific Skidmore course equivalency cannot be determined, the course may be categorized as "department electives" or "general electives". The department chairpersons may provide approval for courses to be counted toward completion of major/minor requirements. 
  5. Students who complete course work at non-accredited institutions and who wish to have this work reviewed for credit must provide an official statement of attendance with full description of the work completed. Credit will be awarded upon recommendation of the appropriate department and approval of the Committee on Academic Standing. Please note: courses in technical or professional areas are usually not transferable.
  6. The Transfer Credit Policy may be viewed in full by clicking on the following link Transfer Credit Policy.