Personal Safety Programs and Policies
The Campus Safety Department offers many special services to the Skidmore campus community. The purpose of these services is to increase the awareness and safety of individuals, increase Campus Safety response times, and foster positive relationships between Skidmore and the local community.
Our programs include the installation of emergency blue light phones, personal safety escorts, bicycle patrols, TIPS hotline, Skidmore Urgent Notification System (SUNS), and training courses such as C. P. R. and defensive driving.
- DO NOT prop doors -- ever!
- Keep your windows locked especially on the ground floor.
- Always lock your door...even if you are gone for only a few minutes.
- DO NOT give your key to anyone.
- DO NOT let strangers into your residence hall.
- Report all suspicious activity to the Department of Campus Safety at x5566.
- Report lost keys immediately.
- DO NOT put your address with your key and keep room keys separate from vehicle keys.
- Be careful when walking alone. Please use our safety escort service.
- Keep personal valuables secure and out of sight.
- Lock your bicycle with a quality lock.
- Use the buddy system when travelling in town. If there is a possibility that alcohol will be present make sure you have a designated driver.
- DO NOT get into a vehicle with someone who has been drinking.
- Maintain control of your drink. Avoid consuming drinks you didn't prepare yourself.
Plan ahead. Don't put yourself in dangerous situations. Remember the overwhelming majority of sexual assaults involve alcohol and drug usage by one or more parties involved.
- Avoid jogging alone at night and try to find a partner.
- Try not to run in remote, dark areas.
- DO NOT run with headphones.
- Wear reflective clothing.
- Face traffic when jogging.
- Let someone know your route.
- DO NOT jog with jewelry and carry ID.