Harassing Telephone Calls
Harassing and obscene telephone calls are a crime, as well as a nuisance that we take very seriously. The main thing to remember is that the vast majority of anonymous harassing telephone calls are made by people that DO NOT act on their threats. They are usually looking for an audience, so don't give them one. The following tips should eliminate most problems associated with harassing telephone calls:
- DO NOT engage in conversation and DO NOT slam the telephone to indicate you are annoyed.
- DO NOT talk to strangers and relate any information such as being home alone.
- Be alert to con artists who ask you to give up important personal information.
- Report all suspicious telephone calls to the Department of Campus Safety and note the date, time and what exactly was said.
- If the calls continue or contain explicit threats, contact the Department of Campus Safety at x5566 and we will initiate an investigation.