Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Health Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  Does Health Services provide medical excuses?

Q.  Does Health Services fill prescriptions?

Q.  What do I do if I’m sick after Health Services has closed?

Q.  Do antibiotics interfere with my birth control?

Q.  Does Health Services offer emergency contraception?

Q.  Are condoms available from Health Services?

Q.  Do I need to have a physical every year?

Q.  What do I do if I have food allergies?

Q.  How long does Health Services keep a student's record after they have graduated?

Q.  How does confidentiality work?

Q.  Do parents have access to health information?

Q.  Does Health Services administer allergy shots?

Q. Does Health Services provide medical excuses?
A. Skidmore College Health Services recognizes that students are expected to attend every class. We advise students to contact their professors directly (preferably before missing a class) to make arrangements to accommodate their illness, if necessary. Health Services cannot vouch for past or present illnesses. As an emerging adult, we believe you, and feel strongly that your professors do as well. Therefore, the Health Services policy is as follows: Verification of medical illness notes are not given to document visits to Health Services. See policy for more information.

Return to top ^

Q. Does Health Services fill prescriptions?
A. Health Services does not fill prescriptions written by outside providers. If a student has a prescription that needs to be filled, it may be taken to any of the local pharmacies. Be sure to check your insurance to see if there is a co-pay for medications and bring a copy of your insurance card with you to the pharmacy. Our physicians and nurse practitioners can electronically prescribe medications and prescriptions which can be sent to the pharmacy of your choosing. We do have a fairly well-stocked medication room and dispense both over the counter and prescription medications to ill students for a nominal fee after a student is evaluated. Payment for medications can be by cash, using your Skid ID card (declining balance account) or by charging it to your student account which gets sent home with your tuition bill.                                                                 

Return to top ^

Q. What do I do if I’m sick after Health Services has closed?
A. There is always a provider on call for medical advice after the office has closed. The on-call provider can be accessed by calling Campus Safety at 518-580-5566. The Campus Safety dispatcher will then call the provider who will call the student back. It is not necessary to disclose your name or the nature of the call to Campus Safety. Wilton Medical Arts Urgent Care Center is approximately 3 miles from campus and the Saratoga Hospital Emergency Room is approximately 1 mile from campus. Please view the websites for each to help you decide whether to go to the ER or Urgent Care.

Return to top ^

Q. Do antibiotics interfere with my birth control?
A. Studies have shown that hormonal birth control is not affected by most antibiotics except rifampin (an antibiotic used to treat tuberculosis). It is safe, and recommended, to continue taking your hormonal birth control while on antibiotics and it will continue to be effective.                                                            Return to top ^

Q. Does Health Services offer emergency contraception?
A.Yes, please see our Sexual and Reproductive Health page for details. Emergency contraception is also available at the vending machine on the 2nd floor of Case or may be purchased over-the-counter at most local pharmacies.

Vending Machine

Return to top ^

Q. Are condoms available from Health Services?
A. Health Services sells condoms at a cost of 10/$1.00. The Student Wellness Center also sells condoms for the same price and distributes dental dams at no charge. Non-latex condoms are sold there at a cost of 8/$1.00.

Return to top ^

Q. Do I need to have a physical every year?
A. As incoming first years, students are required to have a physical performed by their health care provider within 12 months of arrival on campus. There is no physical examination requirement for returning students not participating on an athletic team. See additional requirements for NCAA student-athletes (incoming and upperclassmen returning students

Return to top ^

Q. How can students access their health records after they have graduated?
A.Health Services currently uses an electronic medical record. Students and alumni can access some of their record (ex: immunization record) through the Health Services Portal. The login is the same as your Skidmore email. 

Students who attended Skidmore prior to initiation of the electronic medical record (2016) had paper records. These records were kept for 6 years and then destroyed.  As of 2023 Health Services maintains no paper medical records.

Return to top ^

Q. How does confidentiality work?
A. We take your confidentiality very seriously. We will not disclose any information about you, including the fact that you have come to Health Services, to anyone without your permission. In rare and very specific cases, we may be ethically and/or legally obligated to break confidentiality. Exceptions to confidentiality include: if we judge that you are at imminent risk for seriously hurting yourself or someone else, if you tell us about any current instance of child or elder abuse or if we are court-ordered by a judge to disclose records. If you have more questions about confidentiality, we encourage you to ask your clinician.

Return to top ^

Q.Do parents have access to health information?
A. According to federal privacy laws (HIPPA, FERPA), parents or guardians do not have the right to know if or why their studenthas visited Health Services. If a student is 18 years old or older, we will only discuss their care with a parent/guardian if a Release of Information is signed, giving us written permission to discuss specific information with them. We cannot accept long-term, blanket Release of Information forms. Written permission must be provided each time a student would like us to discuss care with their his/herparent/guardian/other medical provider. Federal law requires this level of confidentiality. 

Return to top ^

 Q. Does Health Services administer allergy shots?
A. Health Services is not able to administer allergy shots. Please a refer to a local provider who can administer allergy shots: 

Return to top ^

 Q. What do I do if I have food allergies?
Dining Services strives to provide culturally diverse, healthy food options to all students. This can be difficult for some students, especially those with food allergies. To help students navigate food options safely, Dining Services representatives are available to meet with students and parents to review menus, recipes, labels and alternate food choices for those with specific dietary needs.

Please feel free to contact Dining Services at 518-580-5850

Dining Services Food Allergy Guidelines

Return to top ^